Celebrating books published January 1 – December 31, 2018.
The Reading the West Book Awards celebrate the MPIBA region, and help publishers and booksellers promote and sell exceptional books and authors.
Reading the West Book Awards winners and shortlist titles exemplify the best in fiction and non-fiction writing, culinary writing, and illustration, whose subject matter is set in the MPIBA region (Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming) or invokes the spirit of the region.
2018 Details and Deadlines
- Adult Fiction
- Adult Non-Fiction
- Young Adult (for ages 13+)
- Young Readers (for ages 7 – 12)
- Picture Book
- Eating the West: Regional Cookbook/Culinary Writing
Publication date for eligible titles:
January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018
Nomination period: September 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018
Nomination Form: Click Here to Nominate a Title(s)
Nomination fee is $150 per title. Publishers and authors must pay when submitting a title for consideration. Other nominations will be accepted when approved by a publisher.
Publishers must also commit to providing reading copies for the appropriate award selection committee members (4 to 8 copies depending on the category).
Shortlist Announced: March 15, 2019
Voting: March 15 – April 12, 2019
Winners Announced: April 15, 2019
Reading the West Book Awards Presentation & Celebration: Friday, May 3, Viridian Event Center, Salt Lake City, UT
Winners 1990 through 2017
Click here to download a five-page PDF of previous Reading the West Book Awards Winners.
- Accepted via on-line form, September 1 – December 31, 2018
- MPIBA member booksellers, publishers, sales reps, authors, and industry professionals may make nominations.
- Publisher participation for a nominated title:
- When a book is nominated by someone other than a publisher or author, the publisher will be notified. They can then choose to pay the $150 nomination fee to have the title added to the long-list.
- Publishers must also commit to providing reading copies for the appropriate award selection committee members (4 to 8 copies depending on the category).
- Selection Process:
- A long-list of nominated titles will be promoted on our website in January.
- Each Reading the West Book Award committee will read and curate the long-list titles to create a shortlist of five titles per award category.
- The shortlists will be announced in April, and voting will begin with promotion to bookstores and booksellers.
- Judging criteria
- Spirit of place: Does the author understand our region emotionally as well as geographically? Is the book’s portrayal of the region reliable? Does the book contribute to the reader’s understanding of the region?
- Inspiring: Does the book capture the indefinable quality that inspires MPIBA booksellers to help a title get the attention it deserves?
- Quality: Is the book is of a high artistic quality and/or extremely well-written?
- Publicity and promotions:
- Long-list titles promoted on MPIBA website with links in e-newsletters and social media.
- National Media Release for shortlist announcement.
- E-newsletter and extensive social media outreach for shortlist announcement and opening of membership voting.
- National Media Release for announcement of winners.
- E-newsletter and extensive social media outreach for announcement of winners.
- Downloadable fliers, bookmarks, shelf-talkers, and signage provided to MPIBA member bookstores for promoting the Reading the West program and titles.
- Digital assets for e-newsletters, websites, and social media provided to MPIBA members for promoting the program and titles.
- Celebrating our winners:
- The six Reading the West Book Awards winners will be invited to a special Awards Presentation & Celebration at the 2019 Fall Discovery Show in Denver, CO, in October 2019.
- Winners will receive a complimentary night stay at the conference hotel.