2017 Awards Year
For books published January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017.
The Reading the West Book Awards provide an opportunity to promote authors, increase book sales, expand reach, and create awareness.
Reading the West is a program sponsored by Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association that assists publishers, authors, and booksellers in promoting and building sales for exceptional books and authors in the Mountains & Plains region.
These adult and children’s titles exemplify the best in writing and/or illustrations whose subject matter is set in the region or invokes the spirit of the region: Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.
The author’s place of residence is immaterial for this award.
Publication date for titles:
Nomination period: September 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017
Shortlist announcement: April 30, 2018
Click here to complete the 2016 Reading the West Nomination Form.
Winners 1990 through 2015
Click here to download a five-page PDF of the Winners from 1990-2015.
How does the Reading the West Book Awards program work?
• Nominations: Nominations will be made from September 1 through December 31 by booksellers from any MPIBA member store within the region. Publishers, sales reps, and authors may also nominate titles they feel are appropriate candidates for this program.
• Publisher participation for a nominated title: When a book is nominated, the publisher will be notified so they can support the title’s inclusion on the list by supplying MPIBA with the $150 nomination fee to help defray program expenses. MPIBA will gather book images from websites to publish nominated titles on its website. After receipt of the fee, publishers will receive the names and addresses of the Reading the West Book Awards selection committee, in order to send an ARC or finished copy of each nominated title to committee members.
• Selection Process: The Reading the West committee creates a Shortlist of five adult fiction, five adult nonfiction, and five children’s titles. In collaboration with the previous year’s winning authors, they then choose one adult fiction title, one adult nonfiction title, and one children’s title as the Winners. (Having two adult categories is solely at the committee’s discretion.)
• Spirit of place: Does the author understand our region emotionally as well as geographically? Is the book’s portrayal of the region reliable? Does the book contribute to the reader’s understanding of the region?
• Inspiring: Does the book capture the indefinable quality that inspires MPIBA booksellers to help a title get the attention it deserves?
• Quality: Is the book is of a high artistic quality and/or extremely well-written?
How do publishers participate?
• Get booksellers excited about nominating your titles: Encourage your sales reps to share titles, promotional materials, and ARCs with booksellers that would be outstanding choices for the Reading the West Book Awards program.
• Place your titles into nomination: When a title crosses your desk that you feel would be an outstanding Reading the West Book Awards candidate, go ahead and complete the Reading the West Nomination Form when it is available.
Why should publishers participate?
• Increased book sales: Reading the West title selections are uniquely suited for our region, making them appealing to MPIBA booksellers. With the combination of marketing support and key bookstore participation, titles will be well positioned for enhanced sales throughout the region.
• Publicity and promotions: Publicity for the Shortlist and Winners will include title display on the Reading The West webpage, e-mail announcements to full e-distribution list, announcements to major media outlets including Publishers Weekly and Shelf Awareness, and social media exposure.
The winners will be announced in May, with the winners speaking and receiving an award at the Reading the West Book Awards Luncheon at the Fall Discovery Show (trade show) in October; this allows time for the winning titles to be featured in MPIBA bookstores and on the website throughout the spring and summer. Member stores will receive shelf talkers to distinguish the winning titles.
• The power of collaboration: Access our extensive knowledge of the region, leverage our familiarity of consumer preferences, and collaborate with the independent booksellers who care about bringing attention to your titles.
Posted September 1, 2017
Reading the West Book Awards
Fall Discovery Show 2017
October 12-14, 2017
The Renaissance Denver Stapleton Hotel
Show Schedule At a Glance
Advice for First-Time Bookseller Attendees
Publishers' Show Specials
Pick of the Lists Schedule
Exhibit Hall Diagram
Exhibitor Table Numbers
Bookseller Reservation Form
Exhibitor Reservation Form
Schedule of Events
Exhibitor Shipping and Drayage
Renaissance Room Reservations
Winter Catalog 2017
Bookstore Order Form ISBN List and Cover Downloads Bookstore Information Winter Catalog Cover Debuts View the 2016 Winter CatalogJoin our e-Newsletter mailing list
Follow us on Facebook: mountainsplains
Follow us on: Twitter
For the latest information on these and other MPIBA projects, please navigate using the menus below.
- Advertise with MPIBA
- Follow MPIBA
- Fall Discovery Show 2017
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Schedule At a Glance
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – First-Time Attendees
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Show Specials
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Pick of the Lists Schedule
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Exhibit Hall Diagram
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Exhibitor Table Numbers
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Schedule of Events
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Bookseller Reservation Form
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Exhibitor Reservation Form
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Exhibitor Shipping and Drayage
- Fall Discovery Show 2017 – Renaissance Reservations
- Winter Catalog 2017 – Bookstores
- Reading the West Book Awards
- BOD – Bookstores Online Database
- Literacy Grants
- Book Reviews by Eric Boss
- Sales Rep Listing
- Bookseller Resources
- For Authors
- Why Shop Local