The Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association is an organization inclusive of all peoples and many types of members. As such, we take safety, observance of event rules, and anti-harassment very seriously.
All participants at MPIBA events (both official event offerings and related social events) are asked to adhere to MPIBA’s code of conduct, as described below. This includes booksellers, librarians, exhibitors, presenters, guests, sponsors, volunteers, and all affiliated attendees.
- Do not remove books or other item from the Exhibit Hall without permission.
- Treat others’ personal property and the event venue (site and materials) with care.
- Refrain from offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, religious affiliation, and political affiliation.
- Refrain from deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Avoid unwelcome photography or recording
- Avoid unwelcome physical contact or sexual attention.
- No weapons are allowed.
- MPIBA is committed to freedom of speech and expression, however,
- prurient sexual imagery or language should not be a primary emphasis during presentations or when promoting products for distribution or sale, and
- the use of discriminatory language may be permissible, but only in the context of respectful discussion about associated topics.
If you are being harassed, observe someone else being harassed or not complying with these rules, please notify MPIBA event organizers immediately. We will be happy to assist with immediate intervention or escort and, when necessary, by contacting venue security or local law enforcement.
Participants asked to cease any of the above described behaviors are expected to comply immediately and may be expelled from an MPIBA event, without refund, at the discretion of the organizers. Disregard for the Code of Conduct may also result in having having MPIBA membership and future participation privileges revoked.
We value your attendance and your well-being.