About the MPIBA and Our Mission
The mission of the Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association is to support and promote independent booksellers in our region, raise awareness of the value of locally owned businesses in our communities, and celebrate literary culture and an open exchange of ideas as crucial to a free society.
We are a non-profit professional association of bookstores, booksellers, authors, and industry professionals. The Association began over fifty years ago in Denver, Colorado, and has grown to represent hundreds of bookstores across many western and mid-western states.
While we are called a “bookseller” association, we have always taken an expansive view of that term, and our membership includes publishers, sales reps, wholesalers, and other industry professionals.
What We Do
- Provide forums and channels for communication, information exchange, professional development, and continuing education at local, regional, and national levels
- Provide information and services for the benefit and advancements of independent booksellers.
- Promote best practices in publishing, distribution, promotion, and the selling of books.
- Promote and defend freedom of speech and of the press as guaranteed by the First Amendment.
- Promote and work for fair, competitive practices in the book industry.