About the MPIBA and Our Mission
The mission of the Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association is to support and promote independent bookstores in our region, raise awareness of the value of locally owned businesses in our communities, and celebrate diversity in literary culture, and an open exchange of ideas.
We are a non-profit professional association of bookstores, booksellers, publishers, authors, and industry professionals. The Association began over fifty years ago in Denver, Colorado, and has grown to represent hundreds of bookstores across thirteen western and mid-western states.
What We Do
- Provide forums and channels for communication, information exchange, professional development, and continuing education at local, regional, and national levels
- Provide information and services for the benefit and advancements of independent bookstores.
- Support efforts to improve inclusion, representation, and diversity in the book industry.
- Promote best practices in publishing, distribution, promotion, and the selling of books.
- Promote and defend freedom of speech and of the press as guaranteed by the First Amendment.
- Promote and work for fair, competitive practices in the book industry.