Holiday Marketing 2020
With a strange holiday sales season ahead of us, including expected supply and supply-chain issues, and the possibility of more pandemic shopping disruptions, planning for holiday sales and promotions NOW is critical. Here are some resources and suggestions:
- Check out this ABA article: Preparing for the 4th Quarter: What to Know and What to Do
- Plan to attend our Conversation with Colleagues on Holiday Marketing Plans at FallCon.
- Choose the titles you want to focus on selling now, and order your holiday stock early.
- Consider “bundles” with other books, greeting cards, and gift items — create easy and quick gift options.
- Consider Greeting Card bundles.
- Be prepared to pivot in your promotions if titles become unavailable.
- Think about how to sell what you have IN STOCK.
- Think about alternate titles to some of the big books that may not be available.
- Encourage your customers to shop early. Educate them on expected supply issues.
- Encourage your customers to shop on-line (if applicable).
- Plan a holiday “book talk” for your customers — in-store or virtual — and offer great gift ideas.
- Your MPIBA Holiday Gift Guide Catalogs will start arriving in early October:
- Place your orders for holiday gift guide titles ASAP.
- Plan in-store and virtual displays of those titles. Every store that ordered catalogs will receive “Books for Everyone” book and shelf talkers in the mail, and will have access to downloadable signage and digital marketing assets.
- If you sell audio books via Libro.fm, promote the Holiday Gift Guide playlist.
- And, if you ordered at least 3,000 catalogs, and spend any money distributing them, we’ll reimburse you for funds spent up to $100. See all the details here.
- Participate in the MPIBA Holiday Gift Guide email campaign, and plan other promotional emails to your customer list.
- Plan a holiday shopping social media campaign with title suggestions for every type of gift.
- If your store is open to the public, start your holiday clean-up, organizing, and decorating early, to make gift shopping quick, easy, and fun!
Tell Customers to Buy Early, Buy Local With “October Is the New December” Designs
To encourage readers to start their holiday shopping now, ABA has created several images for booksellers to use in stores, on social media, in newsletters, and on websites.