Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources
There is racial injustice in America, and in this moment, there is a reckoning that has been a long time coming.
It’s hard to not feel powerless to change a system that violently resists change. But we are not powerless. In fact, booksellers have a super power. We can give our customers new knowledge about hard truths. We can help expose and excite our customers about books by BIPOC authors and about the BIPOC experience. As a community of booksellers, we must amplify these voices, support these booksellers, and hold up BIPOC owned businesses.
Your customers are embracing change. Bookstores around the region are selling anti-racism books and books by BIPOC authors from curated web pages and email blasts in record numbers. Publishers, authors, and bookstores have been sharing lists of books by BIPOC authors, books about race and racial inequity, books that convey the American experience of being a BIPOC person.
Please see BIPOC and anti-racism reading lists below, as well as additional resources for creating a diverse, inclusive, and just bookselling industry.
BIPOC and anti-racism reading lists:
- MPIBA List (suggest additional titles using the form below)
- Publishers Weekly – Fiction List
- Second Star to the Right Bookstore – How to be an Anti-Racist
- BookPeople – Creating an Anti-Racist Community
- Old Firehouse Books – Black Lives Matters tags
- Baker & Taylor Publishing Services
- Hachette Book Group – Black Lives Backlist
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt:
- Ingram (see the ABA Book Buyer’s Handbook for a special offer):
- Microcosm Publishing
- Penguin Random House:
- Simon & Schuster:
- Simon & Schuster distribution clients:
- W.W. Norton
- Yale University Press