Coronavirus Resources & Information for Bookstores
We’re keeping track of news from the book world and updating this page as it comes in. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or updates.
Information & Resources
- ABA Coronavirus Toolkit
- Publisher/Wholesaler/Industry Support for Bookstores
- CARES Act Summary Via ABA
- CDC Page on the Coronavirus Disease
- CDC Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- UPS Information
- FedEx Information
- USPS Information
- National Governors Association Coronavirus Updates
- Faire Business Impact calculator
- While at Home: a clearinghouse for credible information and action steps.
STAYING HEALTHY AND SANE DURING THESE TIMES
- Bookseller Chill: A Six-Week Series on Coping with Anxiety during COVID-19 (created by our friends at SIBA)
- Binc Assistance to Booksellers and Comic Retailers
- MPIBA Digital Bookselling Technology Grants
- ABA Breakdown of Financial Assistance Available
- SBA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disaster Assistance
- Fiscal Relief Initiatives for Small Businesses During COVID-19 Outbreak
- ABA Tips for Managing Cash Flow in a Crisis
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program
Things to Do Right Now
- Activate a donation button on your IndieCommerce or IndieLite site, OR create a GoFundMe donation request.
- Apply for a financial assistance. There is a lot of money available!
- Send letters to your local and state government asking for support of local businesses and workers during this time.
- Connect with vendors to inquire about holding shipments, extended dating, and other help.
- Return any books for cancelled events ASAP.
- Talk to your landlord and ask for rent relief.
- Connect with Binc if a financial need arrises, and share information about Binc with your staff.
- Connect with your customers:
- Offer curbside pick up for customer orders.
- Offer home delivery.
- Promote your e-commerce site (if you don’t have e-commerce, connect with the ABA, or create an easy Bookshop.org site).
- Suggest gift certificate orders to support you now, then they can use them later when they want to browse.
- Offer book reviews and recommendations on-line (email, website, social media).
- Stream traditional in-person events, like story hours or book clubs.
- Host virtual author events (click here for tips and best practices).
- Promote the importance of supporting independent businesses on your social media.
- Ask questions, get answers and inspiration: Join the private MPIBA Member Store Facebook Group. And, join MPIBA booksellers for our weekly Round-Table Education Sessions (1:30 MST) and Afternoon Coffee Breaks (2:00 am MST). Click here for details.
SAVE INDIE BOOKSTORES GRANTS
Through the support of James Patterson, Reese’s Book Club, the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (Binc), the American Booksellers Association (ABA), and generous donations from the community, there is already over $1,000,000 raised to support your stores!
Spread the word about Save Indie Bookstores to your friends, colleagues, and customers! The donation deadline has been extended through May 5, 2020.
The bookstore application period to receive funds is closed.
Virtual Author Events
Hosting virtual events of all kinds will keep you connected with your customers, provide great content for your website and social media, and sell more books!
Note to publishers and authors: To submit authors for this list, please send information in this format to Heather Duncan.
Digital ARCs in the time of Covid
Even though you’re not in the store to receive physical galleys, and many publishers have stopped shipping ARCs for the moment, there’s no need to miss out on reading the forthcoming books you’ll be handselling this summer and fall! Check out options below, and get reading digitally:
From the Simon & Schuster Indie Team:
We are thinking of you from our homes across the country. Our version of self-care is sharing our favorite things with our favorite people. In that spirit, we’ve made this Edelweiss collection to share our favorite forthcoming books with you. They are all available for download now. If you have any trouble downloading, please contact Wendy Sheanin.
NetGalley delivers digital galleys/ARCs to professional readers and helps promote new and upcoming titles. Professional readers–reviewers, media, journalists, bloggers, librarians, booksellers and educators–can join and use NetGalley at no cost.