Bookselling Resources & Pandemic Preparations
We’re keeping track of news from the book world and updating this page as it comes in. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or updates.
What to do now
- Activate a donation button on your IndieCommerce or IndieLite site, OR create a GoFundMe donation request.
- Applying for a government loan or grant available under the CARES Act.
- Send letters to your local and state government asking for support of local businesses and workers during this time.
- Connect with vendors to inquire about holding shipments, extended dating, and other help.
- Return any books for cancelled events ASAP.
- Talk to your landlord and ask for rent relief.
- Connect with Binc if a financial need arrises, and share information about Binc with your staff.
- Connect with your customers:
- Offer curbside pick up for customer orders.
- Offer home delivery.
- Promote your e-commerce site (if you don’t have e-commerce, connect with the ABA, or create an easy Bookshop.org site.
- Suggest gift certificate orders to support you now, then they can use them later when they want to browse.
- Offer book reviews and recommendations on-line (email, website, social media).
- Stream traditional in-person events, like story hours or book clubs.
- Host virtual author events (connect with MPIBA staff or help).
- Promote the importance of supporting independent businesses on your social media.
We are adding direct links to additional publisher offers as we receive them. Email email@example.com add your link to this list.
The ABA is posting a comprehensive list of offerings from publishers and vendors here.
- We’ve created this new resource page to meet the needs of those booksellers who would like to connect authors/illustrators and their books with community members in a virtual environment. Please feel free to download and print all materials and link to this page on your website, enewsletters, or any other platform. This page compiles all our materials, which includes activities, lesson plans, event kits, read-aloud guidelines, and more. We’re adding additional resources daily!
Assistance & Resources
- ABA Coronavirus Toolkit
- CARES Act Summary Via ABA
- CDC Page on the Coronavirus Disease
- CDC Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- UPS Information
- FedEx Information
- USPS Information
- National Governors Association Coronavirus Updates
- Faire Business Impact calculator
- While at Home: a clearinghouse for credible information and action steps.
STAYING HEALTHY AND SANE DURING THESE TIMES
- Bookseller Chill: A Six-Week Series on Coping with Anxiety during COVID-19 (created by our friends at SIBA)
- Binc Assistance to Booksellers and Comic Retailers
- ABA Breakdown of Financial Assistance Available
- SBA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disaster Assistance
- Fiscal Relief Initiatives for Small Businesses During COVID-19 Outbreak
- ABA Tips for Managing Cash Flow in a Crisis
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program