Wholesale & Direct Supply Information and Resources
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, Baker & Taylor announced that it would no longer distribute books to their retail accounts. In response, other book vendors and publishers have put forward special terms to help smaller stores deal with the disruption.
INCLUDED ON THIS PAGE ARE OFFERS FROM
- Ingram Wholesale
- Penguin Random House
- Hachette Book Group
- Independent Publishers Group (IPG)
- Simon & Schuster
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)
- Additional Offers from Independent Presses
Baker & Taylor Information and Timelines
- Current promotions will end on May 31.
- Paperback Essentials will end with the May 14 shipment.
- B&T will support the Indie Next program through May 31 (June Indie Next titles).
- B&T will ship author event orders through June 1.
- My Books & More websites will continue to operate until June 30.
- The ABA has announced a special deal for IndieLite websites as a replacement for My Books & More. Click here to contact the Indiecommerce Team for more information
- B&T will ship NYP titles through June, all open orders for pub dates after July 1 will be cancelled. If you would like a report of what is on order with a pub date after July 1, reach out to your rep.
- The last day for shipping all other orders is July 15. Any orders received after noon on July 15 will be cancelled. This includes Home Delivery orders.
- The last day B&T will accept overstock returns at the return center is July 30.
- 2019 Co-op reports can be requested. All requests need to be made by July 1 and reports will be sent to you by the end of August.
Alternative Wholesale Suppliers
- Bookazine is a full-service wholesaler, serving the book industry since 1929. We offer an unparalleled selection of titles, fast shipping and the friendly service you deserve. We are an independent wholesaler servicing the independent bookstore community.
- To open an account with us or learn how we can better serve you, log onto www.bookazine.com.
- For a Bookazine contact person, Rick Gallagher
- Also, Cynthia Raiton is happy to field any questions:
- Bookazine Co., Inc.
75 Hook Rd.
Bayonne, NJ 07002
- Bookazine Co., Inc.
- Ingram offers special programs designed to fit the unique needs of indie bookstores, including access to a huge inventory of products, and dedicated support.
- Ingram is pro-actively working to increase bookstore credit lines. Please contact your rep to discuss your specific needs.
- The Indie Vault (stock set aside for indie stores) is being augmented with a broader selection, and increased quantities.
- Check out the BookLove rebate program with rewards for hitting sales goals.
- MPIBA Regional Contacts:
- MPIBA Regional Contacts
Consider Buying Direct from Publishers
Actively using wholesalers is a part of most successful bookstores. However, buying direct from publishers offers the best margins and return credits. Buying direct may seem daunting, but your bottom line will appreciate your efforts. If you need guidance on how to begin setting up accounts or strategies to use direct buys as a replacement for wholesalers, please reach out to the MPIBA staff. We’re here to help.
A Message from Penguin Random House
Dear Baker & Taylor Independent Bookstore Customer,
We are writing you about our new program designed for independent booksellers who have been ordering all their Penguin Random House inventory through Baker & Taylor. We value your support of our books and authors, and would like to help make the upcoming transition as easy as possible for you and your staff.
If you do not currently have a Penguin Random House account, or if your Penguin Random House account has been inactive for more than a year, you are eligible for our Indies Express program, which includes:
- A streamlined new-account application (now available online) – no opening order necessary
- A streamlined credit-approval process (for Baker & Taylor customers in good standing)
- Special offer on your first order (includes a lower unit-minimum)
- Dedicated PRH sales director with expertise in helping B&T customers transition to ordering directly from Penguin Random House
- Dedicated PRH sales reps (community bookstore specialists) to help you navigate seasonal frontlist ordering and backlist replenishment
- Special offer from Above the Treeline to help with inventory management
Many of us are former independent booksellers, so we know firsthand how busy you are, and how important it is for you to be able to focus on running your business and serving your customers. We hope you will contact us soon, and we look forward to working with you more closely in the future.
Thank you again for everything you do to support our titles,
The Penguin Random House Sales Team
For more information, e-mail IndiesExpress@penguinrandomhouse.com
Hachette Book Group
Hachette Book Group is launching Indie Direct, which is designed for indie bookstores that do not already have an account with HBG. New accounts must be set up and first order received by August 30, 2019.
- Expedited account set-up
- No minimum quantity on the bookstore’s initial order
- Expedited credit approval
- Additional discount for the store’s initial order in the program
The program is applicable for all HBG titles and the titles of participating client publishers, which include Abrams, Chronicle Books, Disney Book Group, Hachette UK, Kids Can Press, Moleskine, Octopus, Phaidon, piKids, Quercus/Nicholas Brealey, Quarto Publishing Group and Yen Press.
“Hachette Book Group is committed to independent bookstores and the amazing work they do on behalf of our authors and our books,” said Alison Lazarus, executive v-p, group sales director. “With HBG’s Indie Direct promotion, we’re pleased to extend our support to those independent booksellers who do not currently have accounts with HBG. Our goal is to help onboard these stores with an easy transition plan, and to eliminate any concerns about ordering books from us or our client publisher partners. We’re looking forward to establishing relationships with new bookstore partners.”
Booksellers with questions about the program should contact HBG’s telephone sales team at email@example.com or 800-934-5252.
Independent Publishers Group
Independent Publishers Group has launched the Indie Direct program, which offers special terms for one order placed between May 10 and September 1. For new accounts, there is no prepayment required for the first order, and there’s an automatic credit limit of $1,000 for opening a new account, with no credit application required.
For all accounts, new and current, on the order there is an additional 5% discount on an order of 10 or more units; net 60 dating on the order; free freight for 10 or more units ordered; and qualifying orders placed by 11 a.m. Central time will ship by the end of the next business day.
More information, including a promo code and ordering details, will be sent directly to bookstores from IPG’s dedicated indie bookstore sales team. In the meantime, stores can contact customer service at (800) 888-IPG1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Simon & Schuster
Simon & Schuster today announced that it was launching Indie Quick Start, an enhanced direct purchasing enrollment program designed for any independent bookstore that does not have a current account with Simon & Schuster. In order to participate, the new account must be set up and have placed orders with Simon & Schuster by August 30.
As part of the program, Simon & Schuster is offering to independent bookstores without a current account, or accounts that have been inactive for a year:
- Expedited application and credit approval process
- Quick initial order processing and no minimum for new customer initial orders
- Simon & Schuster’s previously announced promotional terms for new store openings
Titles included in the Indie Quick Start program include all of Simon & Schuster’s wholly-owned publishing and the titles of its distribution client publishers.
“Simon & Schuster values and is committed to our independent bookstore partners and the overall health of the retail marketplace,” said Gary Urda, Senior Vice President, Sales, Simon & Schuster. “With this Indie Quick Start program we hope to both ease and speed the path to direct ordering for new customers, creating and building new relationships in this important bookselling channel. We are also working closely with all of our demand wholesale partners to insure that they, too, are fully prepared to supply this important marketplace with our titles. In short, we are open for business, ready to welcome new indie accounts, and look forward to providing them with our world-class customer service.”
Simon & Schuster has assigned a dedicated customer service representative to handle the Indie Quick Start process, and has set up a dedicated phone line and email inbox. For more information booksellers can contact Simon & Schuster at 800-976-1725 or IndieBiz@simonandschuster.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media
In response to the decision by Baker & Taylor to leave the retail wholesale business, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media has launched Fast Track, a program for independent bookstores that were affected by the B&T decision.
Under the offer–which lasts until October 1, for all front and backlist orders–the publisher provides expedited account setup for new accounts that were working with B&T; special offer on the first order; no minimum order quantities; and free outbound shipping. In addition, HMH is offering the opportunity to order backlist under new terms. Interested stores can contact their rep or reach out via Indie Fast Track.
“HMH is committed to our independent bookstore partners and to a flourishing retail marketplace,” said Ed Spade, v-p, sales and national accounts. “We’re glad that we can offer the Fast Track program to streamline new account set up and initial ordering for these valued indie accounts and we’re grateful for the support they provide for our books and authors.”
Contact IndieFastTrack@hmhco.com for more information.
New Indie Account Fast-Track Program
For all bricks and mortar independent bookstores who were ordering all their HarperCollins, Harlequin and HarperCollins Christian titles from Baker & Taylor, we offer fast-tracked credit approval and account set up to help you open a new HarperCollins account.
- ABA members can find our Credit Application on BookWeb.org. Please fill out and submit to
- Non-ABA members can e-mail OpenAccount@harpercollins.com to request the credit app
- When reaching out please specify that you are a former Baker & Taylor account
- Every effort will be made to expedite the account review and set up process
- No order required to open an account
- Effective through October 1, 2019
Once you have an account:
- A sales consultant will be assigned to help you with order questions, register you on our customer service website and make sure you are maximizing our terms of sale.
- Orders received by 3pm (EST) will ship out the next business day
- All HarperCollins, Harlequin and HarperCollins Christian titles can be combined on orders.
- Our frontlist and backlist catalogs are available on Edelweiss and we encourage all accounts to utilize the tools available on Above the Treeline.
Workman Publishing is making major changes to both new and existing independent accounts, aiming to make it easier for accounts to order both frontlist and backlist titles. The changes are effective immediately and apply to all Workman imprints, including Workman Publishing, Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, Algonquin Young Readers, Artisan, Storey Publishing and Timber Press, as well as distribution clients The Experiment, duopress and Erewhon Books.
New terms include lower minimums for free freight; changing how backlist is defined to make it easier for indie accounts to reach minimums on backlist stock-up offers; extra discount earned on face-out quantities on all frontlist titles; an easy credit application process for new accounts (now available online); and a new store special with no minimum.
Existing accounts should contact their sales representative for more information. New accounts that complete an online form will receive a response within 24 hours and the credit-approval process will be expedited.
Indie Express Ship Program
Scholastic Trade Publishing would like to let our indie bookseller customers know that we are here to assist you in the transition from B&T’s exit from the retail business. We know that there are many viable wholesale options for you to order Scholastic books, and want to make this transition as seamless as possible for you so we’re offering the following for direct purchases from Scholastic:
- Scholastic will institute our popular HOLIDAY EXPRESS SHIP PROGRAM effective June 1st, 2019!
- Place your backlist orders directly with Scholastic between June 1st, 2019 and August 30, 2019, and receive express, two-day shipping for the summer!
- We are extending our Backlist Stock Offer to July 31st, 2019. With this offer, you have the choice of an additional 2% discount, or delayed billing until the extended date of October 15th .
- Whether you are an existing or new account with Scholastic, we are ready to assist with your order.
- For existing accounts, please contact your sales rep or Customer Service directly with questions or to place your order.
- For new accounts, we have set up a dedicated email and phone number (see below) to take you quickly through the new account set up process, answer any questions you may have and get your opening order on its way – no minimum quantity needed for opening order.
- Our credit department will work expeditiously to ensure your orders are approved and processed quickly.
Customer Service email: TradeScholastic@Scholastic.com
Customer Service phone #: 877-624-2767
Thank you very much for your continued support of Scholastic’s publishing program, wherever you decide to source the books!
Many independent presses have reached out to the association to encourage direct buys with special terms and simplified application processes. Contact the publishers for all the details.