2013 Awards Year
The Reading the West Book Awards is an opportunity to promote authors, increase book sales, expand reach, and create awareness.
Reading the West is a program sponsored by Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association that assists publishers, authors, and booksellers in promoting and building sales for exceptional books and authors in the Mountains & Plains region.
These adult and children’s titles exemplify the best in writing and/or illustrations whose subject matter is set in the region or invokes the spirit of the region: Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming. (The author’s place of residence is immaterial for this award.)
Winners 1990 through 2012
Click here to download a four-page PDF of the Winners from 1990-2012.
Publication date for titles: January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013
Payment deadline: January 31, 2014
Shortlist announcement: March 31, 2014
Publisher Fact Sheet 2013
Click here to download a PDF of the 2013 Reading the West Publisher Fact Sheet.
Nomination Form 2013
Publishers, sales reps, authors, and MPIBA member booksellers can nominate titles for the Reading the West Book Awards.
Click here to download a PDF of the 2013 Reading the West Nomination Form.
How does the Reading the West Book Awards program work?
• Nominations: Nominations will be made throughout the calendar year by booksellers from any MPIBA member store within the region. Publishers, sales reps, and authors may also nominate titles they feel are appropriate candidates for this program.
• Publisher participation for a nominated title: When a book is nominated, the publisher will be notified so they can support the title’s inclusion on the list by supplying MPIBA with the $100 nomination fee to help defray program expenses along with jacket images to promote the title on our website. After receipt of the fee, publishers will receive the names and addresses of the Reading the West Book Awards selection committee, in order to send an ARC or finished copy of each nominated title to committee members.
• Selection Process: The Reading the West committee creates a Shortlist of five adult fiction, five adult nonfiction, and five children’s titles. In collaboration with the previous year’s winning authors, they then choose one adult fiction title, one adult nonfiction title, and one children’s title as the Winners. (Having two adult categories is solely at the committee’s discretion.)
• Spirit of place: Does the author understand our region emotionally as well as geographically? Is the book’s portrayal of the region reliable? Does the book contribute to the reader’s understanding of the region?
• Inspiring: Does the book capture the indefinable quality that inspires MPIBA booksellers to help a title get the attention it deserves?
• Quality: Is the book is of a high artistic quality and/or extremely well-written?
How do publishers participate?
• Get booksellers excited about nominating your titles: Encourage your sales reps to share titles, promotional materials, and ARCs with booksellers that would be outstanding choices for the Reading the West Book Awards program.
• Place your titles into nomination: When a title crosses your desk that you feel would be an outstanding Reading the West Book Awards candidate, go ahead and complete the Reading the West Nomination Form; you can nominate throughout the year.
Why should publishers participate?
• Increased book sales: Reading the West title selections are uniquely suited for our region, making them appealing to MPIBA booksellers. With the combination of marketing support and key bookstore participation, titles will be well positioned for enhanced sales throughout the region.
• Publicity and promotions: Publicity for the Shortlist and Winners will include title display on the Reading The West webpage, e-mail announcements to full e-distribution list, announcements to major media outlets including Publishers Weekly and Shelf Awareness, and social media exposure.
The winners will be announced in May, with the winners speaking and receiving an award at the Reading the West Book Awards Luncheon at the Trade Show in September; this allows time for the winning titles to be featured in MPIBA bookstores and on the website throughout the spring and summer. Member stores will receive gold foil stickers to place on the books to distinguish the winning titles.
• The power of collaboration: Access our extensive knowledge of the region, leverage our familiarity of consumer preferences, and collaborate with the independent booksellers who care about bringing attention to your titles.
Updated November 8, 2013
Reading the West Book Awards
News from Mountains & PlaIns
Reading the WestClick here to visit the Reading the West page where you can download a four-page PDF of the winners from 1990 through 2012. Nominations for the Reading the West Book Awards program for calendar year 2013 are due on January 1, 2014.
Trade Show 2013Click here to view the Trade Show 2013 Recap..
- Advertise with MPIBA
- Follow MPIBA
- Winter Catalog
- Trade Show
- Trade Show 2013 – Recap
- Trade Show 2013 – Authors and Schedule
- Trade Show 2013 – Exhibitors, Table Numbers, Show Specials
- Trade Show 2013 – Exhibit Hall
- Trade Show 2013 – Online Registration Form – Booksellers
- Trade Show 2013 – Online Reservation Form – Exhibitors
- Trade Show 2013 – Online Author Reservation Form – Publicists
- Trade Show 2013 – Exhibitor Shipping/Drayage
- Reading the West Book Awards
- Spring Meeting
- Literacy Grants
- Bookseller Resources
- Why Shop Local
- For Authors