Reading the West
Book Awards 2012
An opportunity to promote authors,
increase book sales, expand reach
and create awareness.
Reading the West is a program sponsored by Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association that assists publishers, authors, and booksellers in promoting and building sales for exceptional books and authors in the Mountains & Plains region. These adult and children’s titles exemplify the best in writing and/or illustrations whose subject matter is set in the region or invokes the spirit of the region: Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.
How does the Reading the West Book Awards program work?
• Nominations: Nominations will be made throughout the calendar year by booksellers from any MPIBA member store within the region. Publishers, sales reps, and authors may also nominate titles they feel are appropriate candidates for this program.
• Publisher participation for a nominated title: When a book is nominated, the publisher will be notified so they can support the title’s inclusion on the list by supplying MPIBA with the $100 nomination fee to help defray program expenses along with jacket images to promote the title on our website. After receipt of the fee, publishers will receive the names and addresses of the Reading the West Book Awards selection committee, in order to send an ARC or finished copy of each nominated title to committee members.
• Selection Process: The Reading the West selection committee, consisting of booksellers and the previous year’s winning authors, will create a shortlist of five adult and five children’s titles. The committee will then choose one adult title and one children’s title as the the winners.
• Spirit of place: Does the author understand our region emotionally as well as geographically? Is the book’s portrayal of the region reliable? Does the book contribute to the reader’s understanding of the region?
• Inspiring: Does the book capture the indefinable quality that inspires MPIBA booksellers to help a title get the attention it deserves?
• Quality: Is the book is of a high artistic quality and/or extremely well-written?
How do publishers participate?
• Get booksellers excited about nominating your titles: Encourage your sales reps to share titles, promotional materials, and ARCs with booksellers that would be outstanding choices for the Reading the West Book Awards program.
• Place your titles into nomination: When a title crosses your desk that you feel would be an outstanding Reading the West Book Awards candidate, go ahead and complete the Reading the West Nomination Form; you can nominate throughout the year.
Why should publishers participate?
• Increased book sales: Reading the West title selections are uniquely suited for our region, making them appealing to MPIBA booksellers. With the combination of marketing support and key bookstore participation, titles will be well positioned for enhanced sales throughout the region.
• Publicity and promotions: Publicity for the short list and winners will include title display on the Reading The West webpage, e-mail announcements to full e-distribution list, announcements to major media outlets including Publishers Weekly and Shelf Awareness, and social media exposure.
The winners will be announced in May, with the winners speaking and receiving an award at the Reading the West Book Awards Luncheon at the Trade Show in September; this allows time for the winning titles to be featured in MPIBA bookstores and on the website throughout the spring and summer. Member stores will receive gold foil stickers to place on the books to distinguish the winning titles.
• The power of collaboration: Access our extensive knowledge of the region, leverage our familiarity of consumer preferences, and collaborate with the independent booksellers who care about bringing attention to your titles.